Best Homemade Greek Pizza Recipes
Nov 17, 2019
Yes, it’s true. Greek pizza is really a thing. And it’s delicious. Bringing you all the comforts of a traditional Italian pizza, but with a unique sauce and preparation flair, this unforgettable treat is definitely worth the indulgence.
Greek pizza is cooked in a shallow pan that’s been liberally coated with extra virgin olive oil. This creates a slightly puffy and generally chewier crust than traditional Italian style pizza. In addition: Greek pizzas are generally thinner than their Italian counterpart, with a sauce that’s often diluted with water, or wine, and extra virgin olive oil. This makes for a wonderful sauce caramelization distinct to Greek pizza.
Toppings may, or may not, be the same as Italian pizzas, but the preparation and sauce always make Greek Pizza unique. So, why not give it a try at home? If you want to know how to make Greek pizza, we’ve got just what you need to get started.
For your convenience, here’s a couple of easy to prepare Greek pizza recipes. Enjoy!
Fresh Vegetarian Greek Pizza
1 homemade or refrigerated store-bought pizza dough
3 Tablespoons quality extra virgin olive oil (divided)
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
⅓ teaspoon dried oregano
1/3 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt to taste
Red pepper flakes to taste
8 oz fresh mozzarella (cut into chunks)
6 oz feta, crumbled
1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
1/3 cup chopped kalamata olives
⅓ cup chopped red onion
½ Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
– First, preheat the oven to 450 degrees
– Coat the pizza pan with olive oil
– While the oven is heating, mix half the olive oil with garlic in a small mixing bowl
– Spread out the dough, being sure to create a rim around the edges. Then, brush the dough with the garlic olive oil mixture
– Sprinkle the dough with oregano, basil, thyme, salt, and pepper flakes
– Top generously with mozzarella and feta cheese
Bake for about 15 minutes, or until crust is golden. Immediately after removing from oven, top with fresh tomatoes, olives, onions, and parsley.
Let the pizza set a few minutes, then slice, pour a glass of wine and serve. Enjoy!
Greek Pizza with Feta and Basil
1 pound pizza dough, purchased from store (divided in half)
⅔ cup of your favorite marinara sauce, diluted with a splash of wine
½ teaspoon oregano
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup thinly sliced roasted red peppers (jarred is fine)
½ cup marinated artichoke hearts, halved
20 pitted Kalamata olives, halved
½ cup crumbled feta
4 torn fresh basil leaves and red pepper flakes
– Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
– Coat the pizza pan with extra virgin olive oil.
– Spread out the dough, separating into 2 pizzas, while creating a slight rim around the edges.
– Spoon on marinara sauce evenly. Sprinkle with oregano
– Cover the pizzas with mozzarella, then top with roasted peppers, olives, and artichoke hearts. – For the final topping: add the feta.
Bake for about 12 minutes (1 pizza at a time) until crust is golden. Remove from the oven, allow to set up a few minutes. Then top with torn basil leaves and red pepper flakes. Delicious!
Note: This recipe makes 2 pizzas
Now that you’re in the mood for authentic Greek food, we’ve got just what you’re craving. Lemon and Vine uses old-world recipes, authentic ingredients, and extraordinary care to prepare traditional Greek meals we are honored to serve.
You’ll find our products in the freezer section of your local grocery store. From the freezer to the oven, to your table, it’s that simple. And that good.