Authentic Greek Dolmades with Stuffed Grapevine Leaves Recipe
Sep 18, 2019
Are you ready to try a classic Greek dish and have been searching for something traditional to serve? Well, you’ve definitely come to the right place. There’s nothing quite like the delicious aroma and flavor of Greek Dolmades.
And there’s no reason to feel overwhelmed about the perceived complexity of this dish. We’ve brought you a couple of easy to prepare, authentic dolmades recipes your family will love and that you can put together in no time.
We promise: This dish is sure to inspire, to impress, and bring a whole new meaning to the term Greek comfort food.
Vegetarian Dolmades Recipe
- 60 grapevine leaves (Fresh or from a jar)
- 1 cup of rice
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium diced onions
- 2 cups warm water
- The juice from 2 medium lemons
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Take the grape leaves and remove stems. Rinse and drain. If you are using fresh grape leaves, blanch them in boiling water to soften, then drain thoroughly.
- Soak the rice in water for about 10 minutes. Then place the rice and onion in a pan with olive oil and sauté until onions are translucent. Add the herbs and lemon to the rice mixture and set aside
- Line a large pot with any extra grape leaf pieces. Then take the whole leaves—shiny side down—and place a teaspoon of the rice mixture in the center. Roll and wrap them like a small package, and place them (folded side down) into the pot
- Add 2 cups of water to the bottom of the pot. Drizzle the dolmades with a bit of extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice, Place an inverted plate over the dolmades to weigh them down. Simmer about 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Allow to cool before serving. Pour yourself a glass of wine, and enjoy!
Lamb and Rice Dolmades
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 3/4 cup uncooked rice
- 1 medium diced onion
- 1 small diced tomato,
- 6 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 16 oz. jarred grape leaves— or fresh if available
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- For Garnisholive oil
- Coarse Sea Salt
- Lemon wedges
- Place the meat, rice, onion, tomato, olive oil. tomato paste, and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Gently combine and keep in the refrigerator for about 1 hour
- Simmer the leaves in boiling water for about 10 minutes. Drain and remove any stems or hard edges. Then on a flat surface, take the leaves —smooth side down—and place a bit of the mixture in each one. Be careful not to overfill.
- Roll, then fold them and place them into a pot. (Keep the dolmades tightly packed). Add 2 cups water to the bottom of the pot. and drizzle extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice over the dolmades. Place an inverted plate over the rolls to stop them from floating. Keep the lid ajar and simmer for about 50 minutes, or until they are done
- Remove from the pot, and set aside to cool. Garnish with coarse sea salt and lemon wedges. Wonderful!
If you’re looking for more traditional Greek meals, but don’t have time to spend in the kitchen, you’ll love Lemon and Vine products. We use only the finest ingredients and authentic old-world recipes.
You’ll find us in your grocer’s frozen food aisle. From oven to table, you can experience the true flavors of Greece, sans the preparation time.
For more information about our entire product line, do not hesitate to contact us.